Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Book Idea

So, I have this idea - an idea for something I want to have finished by 2018, which gives me 8 years - to publish a photography book about Ida Lupino. Why? Because...

A) She was gorgeous
B) She was a fantastic actress and director; a pioneer among women filmmakers in Hollywood, who sadly, seems to be unknown today except to hard-core classic film fans. I want to change that.
C) She just deserves one. There are lovely photography books about people like Lana Turner, Joan Crawford, Grace Kelly, Jimmy Stewart. Why shouldn't Ida have one, too?
D) She was gorgeous... Wait, did I use this one already? :)

It would spread awareness about her and her films, that's for sure. I, for one, love looking at photos of old movie stars in pretty, well put together books and on glossy paper.  Along with anecdotes and quotes, and some biographical information. Photography books are fabulous and have a lot of rare photos in them, which is another thing I love.

There has only been one biography written about Ida, and it was published in 1996, the year after she passed away. There have been various books about her directing efforts, but nothing like this. That's part of the reason I want to do it, too: It's never been done before. Writing a biography would certainly be fun, but usually, the photos are the best part. I always flip to those first, anyway. Plus, I feel like I would have a better chance at actually getting something published if I try something no one's done before.

This is really a tentative idea though, at the moment. I have a few obstacles I need to overcome first and I have no idea how long that will take. That's why I'm glad her 100th birthday isn't until 2018. So, no one steal my idea, okay?

I'll probably talk about this more at a later time.

New favorite picture? Yes! And it just screams "put me in a pretty photography book!" :)

4 comments:

  1. Gee - please set one copy apart for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you seen the photo of ida here: http://2009and-scene.blogspot.com/2010/10/stars-and-cars.html ??

    ReplyDelete
  3. And me again:

    I just awarded you - I hope it is alright for you..

    http://allthatglistensisnotold.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-want-to-thank-my-mother.html

    Love,

    Frl. Irene Palfy

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://bouquetoftulleroses.blogspot.com/2010/10/ida-lupino.html#comments = look: some Ida-Pics!! ;")

    ReplyDelete